About the Camino de Santiago
The Camino de Santiago is a route of medieval origin that arose from the discovery of the tomb of the Apostle Santiago in the early Middle Ages. Since then, the city of Santiago de Compostela, where his remains are found, became a city of pilgrimage and one of the capitals of Catholicism.
Early on there was only one route for hiking the Camino de Santiago which was the ‘Camino Primitivo‘, a rugged route that crossed mountains and tested the faith of the believers. It was with the progressive advance of the Reconquista when it became possible for new routes to expand and be developed.
Walking and hiking the Camino de Santiago
Nowadays the Camino Frances has became the most popular route, having new places to explore, and less steep than the ‘Camino del Norte‘.
This importance as a popular route contributed to dynamize the whole area, leading to new routes appearing , such as the Camino Portugues or the Camino from Finisterre, which constitutes today a network that shares the same spirit.
Today, the Camino de Santiago is a route that symbolizes personal effort, adventure and a deep connection with nature and the cultural heritage of Europe.
Hiking Trails can assist you in planning and booking your Camino de Santiago hiking adventure in conjunction with local operators in the region.
The Camino de Santiago Routes
- Camino Frances – the most popular route
- Via de la Plata – the longest Camino
- Camino del Norte – along the sea
- Camino Ingles – The English Road – the shortest Camino
- Camino Portugues – Finishes in Santiago de Compostela but starts in Portugal
- Camino Primitivo
- Camino Finisterre and Muxia
- Camino de Madrid
Camino de Santiago self-guided walking packages
Camino de Santiago self-guided walking packages include;
- Guidebooks and maps, and
- Local support in the event you need it.
- Submit an enquiry to Hiking Trails using the contact form if you’d like to start a conversation about hiking the Camino de Santiago.
- Ever wondered whether it’s possible to walk the full length of the Camino de Santiago? We’ve scoped that here.
Camino de Santiago (Agencia de Viajes Oficial del Camino de Santiago)
Hiking Trails partners with Agencia de Viajes Oficial del Camino de Santiago to deliver Camino de Santiago self-guided hiking adventures for our guests.
Find out more?
Please use the ‘Submit Enquiry’ button below and complete our online enquiry form. Once received we can check availability, answer any questions, and confirm pricing.
The details above are intended to be accurate at the time of publishing but do change over time. Final details should be checked against your quoted itinerary.